Hello there! First time posting here, so sorry if this is the wrong place to post something like this. Long story short, I had a Kraken USB headset that worked, then I moved, and then the headset suddenly was not recognized by the computer, showing me "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" in the device manager. Contacted Razer Support and they said my product was broken, so I sent it back and they exchanged it for a new one. The new one worked for a day and then stopped working with the exact same error showing up. I have searched everywhere online for answers and have tried any and all solutions I have found, but none have worked. When I use Windows 10 to check the problem, it says it is a Driver error, but I cannot find anywhere online to download Drivers. I assume it is all handled by Razer Synapse, but I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling and even deleting all Razer files in Programsx64 and ProgramsData, reinstalling, and it still didn't work. It is a software issue from what I can tell, but Razer Support isn't that helpful when it comes to that sort of thing. I am hoping someone else on here has ran into this problem and found a solution. Thank you all in advance for your help!