My Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Battlestations' started by aspergersguy, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aspergersguy

    aspergersguy New Member

    I know there is plenty of things to be worked on with my rig but, here it is so far:
    Chassis: Thermaltake LEVEL 10 GTS Snow Edition White ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case
    Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING
    Processor: Intel Core i5-7600k LGA 1151 (Kaby Lake)
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 1060 Turbo 6GB
    RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
    Storage: 240 GB ADATA SSD (main drive), 1 TB Hard Drive [Western Digital or Seagate], HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3 TB (Enterprise)
    Misc: Intel Optane 16 GB

    Future Plans:
    2nd GTX 1060 Turbo for bridging
    Z370 and Coffee Lake upgrade
    16 GB more RAM
    32 GB Optane

    Comments? Suggestions? I will only have enough for about $600 in upgrades at the end of the week.
    jcx200 and SantyC93 like this.
  2. mo-iro

    mo-iro Active Member

    About the optane memory, you already have a ssd, so you don't need the optane, don't know why you are using it, it's just cache and for ssd it makes no difference. And if you want to use two vga to game on it, you must have in mind that a lot of games now a days don't support very well SLI, so a better vga is a worth option than using two.
    jcx200 and ARMOR_152 like this.
  3. aspergersguy

    aspergersguy New Member

    It should be noted that while I do have an SSD as my main drive, my two other drives are not SSD and have my games on them, thus why the Optane.
  4. mo-iro

    mo-iro Active Member

    The ssd still doing the cache work, with no optane need
  5. Kenserky

    Kenserky Well-Known Member

    You could buy a second GTX 1060 6Gb (500$) .
  6. Jenjar

    Jenjar Well-Known Member

    Don't know if you would consider it, but graphics card cost way to much right now and I think you are better off waiting for now. Nvidia is said to be releasing the next generation of cards sometime during this year (In the past they have normally done it in the spring), and if they come out you might be able to get a 1060 for a better price close to MSRP, or there will likely be quite a few used ones floating around that you could look at.
  7. jcx200

    jcx200 Active Member

    I'd consider picking up an NVMe SSD since your motherboard supports it (I have the same one). They are a bit more pricey than SATA SSDs but they are really fast. I have the Samsung 960 EVO 250GB which set me back about £115. Not sure how much they are in dollars.

    You can fit two on the motherboard though you will lose access to 3 SATA ports. You will only lose 1 SATA port if you use 1 NVMe drive in the top M.2 mount.
    aspergersguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sign In with Razer ID >

Don't have a Razer ID yet?
Get Razer ID >